Once Snapchat came out to the phones in 2011, the game had changed. Suddenly, everybody was exchanging ‘Snaps’ which lasted 24 hours. There were so many pictures to share, so many stories to tell and everyone had filters they liked. This photo and video story-sharing app gained so much popularity among the youngsters that their stats revealed the everyday involvement of about 200 million people.
This kind of engagement is amazing and can lead to great earnings for companies. However, that being said, there are downsides as well as factors that Clone development companies take into consideration while making a Snapchat clone app. Without further ado, let’s get into it.
Factors for Making the Clone App
It is of course understood that making an app like Snapchat is very helpful. However, just in case doubts are surrounding, let’s have a look at some of the reasons why making a Snapchat clone app is a good idea
The leading factor of having a Snapchat is its being a user-generated space. Snapchat targets an active audience- people who are taking pictures and videos and sharing them actively. Snapchat allows for these Snaps to be shared across the internet and thus, the promotional part of it is not an issue.
Furthermore, due to its 24-hour life, Snaps never really get old. There is new content every single day, along with new filters and trends. The Users decide what gets popular and how it defines things around on the app.
Great Place For Revenue
Monetizing comes from different sources in apps like Snapchats. From ads to augmented reality or AR, Snapchat allows for great revenue generation. Snapchat’s revenue is in billions just thanks to AR which is highly popular among Gen Z.
What it takes to make a Snapchat Clone app
Now Read More About the best Snapchat clone app development company, then hold on. There is time as well as cost commitment that goes into generating an app like Snapchat and this guide is here to tell you all about it.
Some of the things that make Snapchat what it is are the features. They include:
- Registration: Registration is pretty simple. Instead of being attached to social media, users can make an original account. The important components include name, birthday, contact number, and a nickname to be seen. To finish the registration, just get the confirmation code on the mobile number.
- Integration of Contacts: Contact integration can work in different ways: Search for people using a username; integrate the contacts; see people from the same geographical area as the user; share the Snapchat using email or social media.
- Disappearing Messages: Disappearing messages well work pretty well. The whole idea of the same is that the messages sent are uploaded to the servers and sent to the person. Within 24 hours of the message being read, the message is deleted from both the Snapchat servers as well as the person’s chat messages.
- Video or Audio Calls: Much like other social media, you can use video and audio calls to contact your friends. One thing which makes Snapchat different is that you can talk on calls and also send pictures at the same time.
- Video or Audio Notes: Using this feature is usually used for 10-second video or audio messages. It is a way to share filters and short GIFs with a user’s friends.
- Stickers: The stickers are a very important part of any social media. World, especially in Snapchat. To make any story or snap interesting, a little sticker can help. Android and Apple stores are filled with several sticker stores, as well as different apps which allow you to make stickers out of your pictures.
- Story: This is extremely similar to the story option on Instagram. Much like Snaps, the stories remain visible for 24 hours. What is unique and interesting about the story on Snapchat is that a live video can be added using the server.
- Lenses: Lenses are an integral part of Snapchat. Unlike stickers, lenses allow for facial features and the user’s voice to be changed according to the user’s wants. There are different ways to integrate this option, including features in the app and other development techniques.
- Location Sharing: Snapchat has a special feature that allows its users to share their present geographical location which can be seen using the sticker version of the user. This location can be shared with everyone on SnapMap. For security reasons, users can select to show their position only to the people who are using Snapchat at the time.
- Discover: Much like other social media apps, Snapchat comes with the option of having a discover part. However, much like the rest of the app, every single post is only available for twenty-four hours.
- Registration: It takes over 70 hours to develop the perfect registration feature. The Backend and front of one platform are included in the same.
- Integration of Contacts: Getting contacts to be integrated is a work of about 100 hours alone.
- Disappearing Messages: This can easily take 150 hours.
- Video or Audio Calls/Notes: These features together take about a month to properly develop.
- Stickers: One of the easier ones, developing stickers takes around 10 hours a day.
- Story: This comes up to around 120 hours.
- Lenses: 130 hours is what it takes to develop lenses.
Thus, as clear from the amount of work put in, it takes over two months to get the app to be ready for consumption.
The average cost of making and maintaining an app comes to be between $45,000 and $60,000. This rough estimate can change easily based on different factors such as marketing value, the level of complexity that some of the features may include, and other factors.
There are no successes without a few hurdles and the same can be said about Snapchat. There are some dark sections of this company that need to be kept in mind while developing it.
The biggest security threat of a Snapchat-like app is the fact that it can be easily saved. Despite snaps having a lifetime of just 24 hours, their snapshots can be taken easily and saved for later.
SnapMap, a feature of the app, can use for stalking and other dangerous activity. Since this app has been specifically designs for the younger generation, this is not a part of parental control but rather the dangers of fellow friends and stalkers.
It can be easy to pass on abusive, sexist, racist, and homophobic content for children by saving it is for fun and so has been the case with Snapchat. With problematic filters, discourses that cause harm, and in general an abusive side to the whole community, Snapchat presents the problem of actually forming an antagonistic attitude towards age-old problems into the next generation.
Monetizing Snapchat clone app
As discussed before monetizing Snapchat is not that difficult. Merely using the ads in-between, lenses and filters, monetizing would not be as difficult on a Snapchat clone app. Furthermore, developers can include a Premium option. Furthermore, in-app purchases and discovery pages can add to the monetization aspect of your app. If you are making a Snapchat clone app, it is a wise choice to hire a development team in case you are not one. Using this guide, making the clone app would be much easier.
About The Author
Hermit Chawla is a Marketing Manager at AIS Technolabs which is a Web design and Development Company, helping global businesses to grow by top responsive web design services. He loves to share his thoughts on Social Media Marketing Services Game Design Development etc.