QuickBooks error 6177 is one of the 6XXX series errors, which occurs when a user seeks to open the company files in the multi-user mode of QuickBooks Desktop. Generally, such kinds of QuickBooks company file errors get triggered when the QuickBooks Desktop application is outdated. Although there also can be a few other factors, that can lead to the occurrence of QuickBooks error code 6177 that we intend to explain to you, alongside all the possible troubleshooting solutions with the help of this post.
Getting frustrated because of QuickBooks error 6177 and want to get it resolved immediately? If affirmative, please speak to our QuickBooks Proadvisors team.
You may also read — QuickBooks Error 6000 77
What are the factors triggering QuickBooks error code 6177?
Apart from the outdated QuickBooks Desktop application, the followings are the most common factors that can cause QuickBooks error code 6177:
- Acute corruption in the QuickBooks company file (.QBW).
What are the troubleshooting solutions that you can implement to fix QuickBooks error 6177?
Solution 1) Manually update QuickBooks Desktop to the present-day release
- Click on the Windows Start logo.
- Enter “QuickBooks Desktop” into the search bar and right-click QuickBooks Desktop.
- Choose the Run as administrator option.
- On the No Company Open window, navigate to the Help menu.
- Choose the Update QuickBooks Desktop option from the drop-down list.
- Navigate to the Options tab and then choose the Mark All option.
- Hit the Save button.
- Navigate to the Update Now tab and then fill the Reset Update checkbox.
- When you are ready to download the QuickBooks updates, select the Get Updates option.
- Restart QuickBooks Desktop and select the Yes option on the QuickBooks update installer.
- Once your QuickBooks Desktop is updated, reboot the computer.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and try to open the company file.
If QuickBooks error 6177 still occurs, then move ahead to the second solution.
Related article — How To Record Vendor Refund In QuickBooks?
Solution 2) Run the QuickBooks File Doctor tool on the server computer
- Click on the Windows Start menu.
- Enter “QuickBooks Tool Hub” into the search box and then open the QuickBooks Tool Hub application.
- From the left-sidebar, choose the Company File Issues tab.
- Click on the Run QuickBooks File Doctor option.
- From the drop-down list, choose your company file.
Note: If the drop-down list does not have your company file, select the Browse and search option to find the company file.
- Choose the Check your file option and then hit the Continue button.
- When prompted, type in the admin password of QuickBooks and then hit the Next button.
- Once the QuickBooks File Doctor tool is done repairing the company files, open QuickBooks Desktop.
- In QuickBooks Desktop, attempt to access your company file on the multi-user network.
If QuickBooks error 6177 persists even after following the troubleshooting solutions that we have explained above in the post, then the Network Data configuration file of QuickBooks Desktop might have been damaged. The Network Data file is necessary for QuickBooks to open any company files; therefore, our suggestion for you is to rename it. For additional troubleshooting assistance to resolve QuickBooks error code 6177, feel free to get in touch with our QuickBooks support team at (855)-856-0042.