Created by Intuit Inc. back in 1983, QuickBooks has always been at the top of the charts when it comes to dependable accounting applications. Three key factors that make QuickBooks Desktop different from other accounting applications are its high reliability, accuracy, and efficiency. With more than three decades of presence in the accounting world, QuickBooks Desktop is widespread among millions of small companies and professionals.
As we all know, no application in the world is fully secure from technical bugs and errors, and this applies to QuickBooks Desktop as well. There are an innumerable number of errors that users can face while working with QuickBooks Desktop, and among the most common errors comes QuickBooks error 40001. Through this post, we are going to discuss all the reasons due to which users can face such type of Payroll update error and the troubleshooting ways to rectify it.
What does QuickBooks error 40001 signify?
QuickBooks error 40001 belongs to the payroll errors, which occur when users attempt to update payroll tax tables in their QuickBooks Desktop applications. An error message might appear on the computer display dictating, “Something’s not right. We’re unable to complete your request at the moment.”
Seeking immediate troubleshooting guidance to get rid of QuickBooks error 40001? If yes, please don’t hesitate to contact our adept QuickBooks experts at 1-855-856-0042.
Recommended to Read : QuickBooks Error 6177
What are the reasons causing Payroll error code 40001?
Payroll error code 40001 often arises when the version of the user’s QuickBooks Desktop gets outdated. Nonetheless, there can be several other factors too behind its occurrence, such as:
- Severe corruption in the QuickBooks company file.
- Damaged installation or program files of QuickBooks Desktop.
What should you do to fix QuickBooks error 40001?
Solution 1) Get the most current QuickBooks Desktop updates
- Exit the company files and QuickBooks Desktop.
- On your keyword, press the Windows key to open the Start menu.
- Look for QuickBooks Desktop and right-click its icon.
- Pick the Run as administrator option.
- On the No Company Open window, select the Help menu.
- From the drop-down list, select the Update QuickBooks Desktop option.
- Move to the Options tab and then click on the Mark All option.
- Click on the Save button.
- Move to the Update Now tab and then checkmark the Reset Update checkbox.
- Click on the Get Updates button.
- After getting the QuickBooks updates, close QuickBooks Desktop and relaunch it.
- When QuickBooks Desktop asks for your permission to install the downloaded updates, select the Yes option.
- After installing the QuickBooks updates, reboot your computer.
- Start QuickBooks Desktop and then attempt to get the latest payroll tax tables.
- If payroll update error persists, proceed further to the second solution.
Solution 2) Fix the company file with the assistance of QuickBooks Verify/Rebuild tools
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop and move to the File menu.
- From the drop-down menu, select the Utilities option.
- Click on the Verify Data option to run the tool.
- If you see the notification, “Your data has lost integrity,” follow the below-mentioned steps to use Rebuild Data to fix the data damage.
- Open the File menu again and then select the Utilities option.
- Select the Rebuild Data option to run the tool.
- When QuickBooks Desktop prompts you to make a backup copy of your company file, select the OK button.
- Pick the place where you want to store your backup company file.
- On the QuickBooks Desktop Backup screen, select the OK button.
- The Rebuild Data tool will start functioning as soon as the backup of the company file is done.
- When you see the notification, “Rebuild has completed,” select the OK button.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and try to update your payroll service to the most recent tax tables.
- If you see payroll update error again, move further to the third solution.
Solution 3) Get QuickBooks Tool Hub and make use of Quick Fix my Program
- Download the present-day version (126.96.36.199) of QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Save the downloaded file named QuickBooksToolHub.exe at such a location on your
- computer where you can locate it quickly in times of need.
- Click on the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file and do as per the steps explained on your computer screen.
- Complete the installation of QuickBooks Tool Hub by accepting the terms and conditions.
- Right-click the logo of QuickBooks Tool Hub and then select the Open option.
- Pick the Program Problems tab from the left side of the window.
- Click on the Quick Fix my Program option to run the tool.
- When the Quick Fix my Program tool is finished repairing the QuickBooks program files, relaunch QuickBooks Desktop.
- Try to update payroll tax tables and check whether you get payroll update errors this time.
Solution 4) From QuickBooks Tool Hub, make use of QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool
- Right-click the QuickBooks Tool Hub logo and then pick the Open option.
- Select the Installation Issues tab from the left side of the window.
- Click on the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool to run the tool.
Note: QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool might take up to 20 minutes to finish repairing the QuickBooks installation files.
- Restart your computer and then launch QuickBooks Desktop.
- Try to download the most current payroll tax tables and check whether you receive any payroll update errors this time.
It is our hope that you find this article worth going through, and now, you are able to get rid of QuickBooks error 40001. However, if payroll update error persists even after implementing the troubleshooting solutions that we have discussed above in the article, then there is a great chance that your QuickBooks Desktop installation files have been severely damaged. Therefore, our recommendation for you is to uninstall QuickBooks Desktop and reinstall it in the Selective startup mode of your computer. For furthermore troubleshooting assistance to fix Payroll error code 40001, make sure to get in touch with our QuickBooks support team at 1-855-856-0042. QuickBooks experts are proficient in the art of error solving and will make the entire troubleshooting procedure a matter of seconds for you.
You may also read | QuickBooks error 6123